I am working on a story. This one isn’t a fanfiction story, well, not in the traditional sense, and it’s a challenge for me plot-wise, because it’s not strictly a linear narrative, and the scope of it it covers about 50 years (with a few large gaps where not much happens, stuff I don’t want to have to bring into it at all). I was struggling to keep it all straight, and to work out how to intelligently bring the interesting bits of the story-past into the story-present in a coherent way, in what order to do so so that it doesn’t get impossibly confusing, and how to make that all swing together as a story.
So I started to think that I needed to lay out everything that happens on a timeline. Then I could look at the timeline and work out how to actually tell the story, with the past and present braided together. (I’m planning to actually write it in the spring/summer.) Then last night the fantastic Mydwynter made my dreams come true by pointing me to Aeon Timeline.
This is a new level of planning for me. I’ve never gone quite this far before, but if you knew what craziness I was embarking you might agree with me that it’s entirely necessary.
The screenshots above are some angles on the timeline I’ve been picking at all day. Look at that thing! Look at it! It’s madness! I don’t think it will make any sense to anyone but me! Which is fine! It’s about Moses and Miriam! It’s kind of a giant mess!
I’m so in love.
I can pin all the events on it, even the ones I’m not going to write about (there are a lot of those), and it even tells me how old everyone is when they happen. HANDY. VERY HANDY.
88 Notes/ Hide
- medusagotcaught likes this
- purpleteaandhonor likes this
- arabella-strange likes this
- thegoldensextet reblogged this from ivyblossom and added:
- chazpure likes this
- dingelchen likes this
- fox-rain likes this
- tomoewantsdolls said:You can use it on Windows or is only for Mac?
- bravehearttegan likes this
- misssukri likes this
- stoppableforce likes this
- anglophrenic likes this
- poneriafc reblogged this from johnfuckingwatson and added:
- little-assassin likes this
- acrossthelines likes this
- captainhook-ler reblogged this from johnfuckingwatson and added:
- captainhook-ler likes this
- johnfuckingwatson reblogged this from ivyblossom
- rnelaniep likes this
- toomuchplor likes this
- passeriformakarhyolight said:Will Miriam be an alchemist?
- anglosaxonmonk likes this
- clickthefrog reblogged this from lezzerlee
- clickthefrog likes this
- reckonedrightly reblogged this from peninsulamamoenam
- treizquatorz likes this
- notapaperbelly likes this
- interlopercloud likes this
- misslizziejane likes this
- concinnities likes this
- thegoldensextet likes this
- nightrevelations likes this
- twilightsblue likes this
- cowardofconscience reblogged this from lezzerlee
- didgyre likes this
- lezzerlee reblogged this from ivyblossom
- tigerine likes this
- storyofair likes this
- brinanners likes this
- enkeli likes this
- sassypieminx likes this
- inevergettodoanythingfun reblogged this from ivyblossom
- bewinsome likes this
- jinglefleet likes this
- stealing-the-arkenstone reblogged this from close-down
- esterbrook said:This is, like, the APOTHEOSIS of outlining. The PLATONIC IDEAL of outlining.
- diifinity likes this
- songstersmiscellany likes this
- hiddenlacuna likes this
- plethoricardor reblogged this from ivyblossom